Sunday, June 25, 2006

My first wedding anxiety dream!

So we're a bit less than six months away from the wedding, which means it's time for my wedding anxiety dreams to begin. Some of you know that I'm a vivid dreamer for the most part. Whatever is going on in my daily life will inevitably wind up in my dreams. For example, I played a fairly active role in analyzing a new state tax bill for my law firm in preparation for a seminar we presented on this new tax law, and had a series of extremely exciting dreams about apportionment of gross receipts and combined reporting groups. Wow, tell me THAT's not exciting.
Anyway, last night I had my first wedding anxiety dream. This one was straight out of my first gown fitting that occurred last weekend, which I'll write about in another post if I have time. During that fitting, I ordered my veil, picked my headpiece, and got to see my shoes with my gown for the first time (and was relieved to find that they matched). So last night, I had this dream that suddenly the wedding was upon me, and I was totally unprepared. I had on some hideous lace dress that didn't even come all the way to the floor (I'm not a fan of lace), these lacy white shoes (my gown is ivory), my hair was a mess, and I was without my veil and headpiece because, strangely, this dream was in real-time, and I had just ordered them a week earlier and they weren't in yet. I was running around, hysterical because I didn't have a veil, and even more so because I love the veil I actually bought and was upset that I was going to have to wear a veil from the discount bridal store located on the first floor of the Marriott Marquis where we were getting married. I have Kenny to thank for the Marriott Marquis element of that dream, because he related a story to me about getting drinks there this past week.
I spent most of the dream trying to locate my shoes, and just generally trying to figure out how it was suddenly December 17th. I woke up this morning very relieved that I still have a few months to go. Kenny thinks my anxiety dreams reveal some deep-seeded discomfort with the wedding, but those of you who are OCD or just generally type-A know that's not the reason. It's just our mind's way of says, "Hey, You! You only have 176 days left! Get to it!"

1 Comments:

Blogger Wintermute said...

i had these dreams about once week.

the best one was that the wedding was starting and i didn't have my tux ready, and i forgot to shave. so i run into the back room to get ready, and then i hear that the string trio had already started playing the star wars music (which in real life they played as guests were arriving). i ran down the aisle, half dressed b/c mrs. wintermute was already there. i got set, and the realize her dress looked like a potato sack, literally. but i felt too bad to say, "hey, your dress looks like crap."

oddly enough, i actually continued to have these dreams after the wedding.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home