Thursday, November 17, 2005

We have solved the problem of famine in the Third World

...Adrienne and Steve need to re-create our engagement party for any region of the world that is afflicted by famine. Seriously, I've neve seen so much food in my entire life! Of course I didn't actually eat any of it.
So to catch everyone up, two weeks ago Kenny and I went up to New York for an engagement party thrown in our honor by Adrienne and Steve and the 5 Towns wedding mafia. It was awesome! The weekend was totally nuts though. We arrived in New York on Friday, and spent Saturday with Kenny's family getting ready for the party. Saturday night we met up with all of our bridesmaids and groomsmen and their significant others who had come in from out of town. That was also extremely cool! We were looking at photos of that night, and it was so exciting to see pictures showing friends from college sitting together with friends from grad school. My cousin Kris and friend Erma also came by, which was fun. Kris got hit on at the bar, and while she complained and feigned shock, I know she liked it :)
Sunday morning was totally nuts. I woke up at 7:45 so I'd be ready for Audrey and Tara, the make-up and hair girls, at 8:15. Kenny brought my parents to the house so my mom could have her hair and make-up done. Lauren and Adrienne also came down for the same routine, and Steve joined my dad in making fun of all of us for the trouble we put into looking pretty for everyone. So we had six women, hyped up on coffee, and three men, confused and milling about, not quite sure what to do with themselves. My dad tried to convince Audrey to give him a makeover, but thankfully she put him in his place (which happened to be in the other room).
Then we showed up at Beth-El for photos at 11. That went on for about an hour, but was fun. Hy, the photographer and a close family friend (one of those wedding vendor mafia types), is a great photographer and makes the whole experience worth it. After all of the getting ready and the photos, I began to wonder if I had accidentally just forgotten to wear my wedding gown.
When we walked in, I was blown away at the scale of it all. We were greeted with cocktails (yes, it was still before noon. Rock on!) right when we walked in, there were beautiful flowers everywhere, and a spread of food you just wouldn't believe! I'm convinced it could have fed a small nation. Or one Jewish family.
It's difficult to give details of the actual party since it went by like a whirlwind. I think I got a preview of what it will be like at the wedding, and let me say, I'm glad Jewish weddings have yichud! For those who don't know, yichud is the period of time just after the ceremony when the bride and groom go off into a room by themselves. Kenny has a dirty idea of what goes on in that room, but I'm planning to eat dinner.
I spent most of the party talking to guests and meeting family members and friends of the Grossmans, so I didn't really get to eat much, but what I did eat was fantastic. Gayle and Bob, the caterers, were absolutely amazing. I've never seen such an incredible spread in my life! Everyone else seemed to rave about the food, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of it at the wedding. I'm sure the quantity will be even more obscene since the guest list for the wedding will be about twice a big as it was for the engagement party- I can't wait. They were also very liberal with the alcohol, as we can see from this photo of my dad. Turns out they carry his favorite Scotch.
All in all, it was a fantastic party, and I can't till next December!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home