Thursday, November 17, 2005

I want to be a part of it...Long Island, Long Island!

So we last left off with He Who Shall Not Be Named and She Who Is Without Brain getting fired. That was pretty fun. What was not fun was breaking it to my parents that Austin just was not accomodating for a Jewish wedding and that we would have to do it in New York. I think they were skeptical at first- the stunned silence really spoke volumes. This was especially difficult since my mom has never been to New York, and my dad has only been there for a total of 48 hours, only 2 of which were spent outside of his hotel since he was there for a conference.
The tough person to convince was my mom, mostly because her vision of Long Island is straight out of Goodfellas. Back when I first met Kenny (I had never been to New York at that point either), I had planned a trip up there to visit over the summer after our freshman year at Emory. Kenny had just told me that Goodfellas was filmed in his town on Long Island, so naturally I rented it and watched it with my mom- 2 days before my trip. Bad move. After the movie, my mom turns to me, eyes wide, and says in her charming southern accent, "They don't still have gangsters in Kenny's town, do they?!?" On her first visit to New York last week, we made sure to point out the mob "graveyard" (aka "dumpsite") that was recently found 5 minutes from Kenny's town. This only reaffirmed her suspicions as to how Kenny got me such a pretty engagement ring and why the wedding was so easily planned without a single problem on Long Island. That's right- the Grossmans are members of the 5 Towns Mafia. Wedding vendors don't dare cross Adrienne!
So anyway, after some discussion everyone seemed ok with New York. Of course, I think Kenny's parents felt like they had just won the lottery when we broke the news to them. When I told Adrienne, she didn't cheer or scream or anything, she just said "I think it will be much easier from now on". I'm pretty sure that as soon as she hung up that phone balloons fell from the ceiling of the Grossman's kitchen, a disco ball dropped down from above the stove, and Steve appeared in the dining room doorway covered in glitter.
After all Kenny and I had been through trying to do this wedding in Texas, I was really happy to move it to New York just to get rid of the splitting headache that came on anytime anyone mentioned the word "caterer". Not to mention the fact that I had already been to the venue in New York and thought it was beautiful.
So here's the amazing part: We planned the wedding in 2 weeks. No kidding- two weeks. Of course, the mob connections really helped move that along. But really, as soon as we made the decision to do it in Cedarhurst, we had the venue, the caterers, the baker, the photographer, the band, the hair stylist, and make-up artist, and the hotel! Truly amazing. And what's even better, because of Steve and Adrienne's connections in the community, all of these vendors are friends or friends of friends. Maybe the Grossmans aren't part of the real Mafia, but I'm pretty sure they're made members of some sort of wedding vendor mafia. I'm fine with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home