Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Second (and third) Wedding Anxiety Dreams!!

Wow, these were doozies. Unfortunately I can only remember one right now, so I'll tell you that one. So here's the back story: I am basically at the mercy of my law firm in terms of my professional life. Don't get me wrong, they're a great bunch of folks, but when they say "Jump!" I have to jump. So we had this new tax law passed a few months ago..yeah, yeah, I can already see your eyes glazing over. I was told to go figure out what this law said, and determine exactly how badly our clients would be taking it up the you-know-what from the Texas taxing authority. So I learned about this tax. Now I have become the firm's bitch when it comes to helping with our marketing efforts in regard to showing the world exactly how expert we are when it comes to Texas taxes. And let me tell you, we are experts! So the basic rundown is this: a member of some group of business owners calls our offices and asks if we have anyone who can come speak to their members about the new tax. The person taking the call says, "Sure! We have an associate here who would be happy to speak to your group." Then someone comes and unlocks my cage, leads me out, takes the ball-gag out of my mouth and sends me on my way with my laptop and PowerPoint slides. No, I'm not to the dream part yet.
So you can imagine that I'm kind of sick of this tax law by now. Here's the dream part:
It's December 17, and I'm getting ready for the wedding. My hair is done and my makeup is finished. It's 7pm. Considering our wedding is set to begin at 4:30, I appear to be late as it is. Am I sitting in the bridal room at Temple Beth-El? No. I'm in a conference room at a hotel in Austin, waiting to take the stage to speak to a large group of people, not sure who they were or what group they were with, but the group did include about 20 Jai Alai players. I don't even know that Jai Alai is, but they were there with giant exercise balls and lacrosse nets. This guy at the podium is droning on and on about Texas history, and I have to wait for him to finish before I can start my talk. I'm really worried now that I'm going to miss the wedding. Finally, I decide that I can run and get married, then come back and give my talk. Afterall, this guy is only up to Santa Ana's invasion of Texas, so he's got a ways to go. If he's a real Texan, it'll take him another day or so. So I get married, only I didn't actually dream about the wedding. The next thing I know, I'm walking up to the podium in my wedding gown, with my PowerPoint in hand. The last thing I remember thinking before I woke up was, "Man, I bet I look like an ass."
So there you have it. I'd like to think that at least while I sleep I can get a break from the margin tax and from the constant voice in my head nagging me that there's something I need to be doing for the wedding RIGHT NOW!! Apparently I would be wrong. And I think that voice might not be in my head--I think it might be my mom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home