Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Snack Hell, The Sea of Humanity...and other wedding weekend stories: Part II

Now we come to my favorite phrase of the whole weekend: "Oh, the sea of Humanity!" I think my dad uttered this phrase at least four times while we were sightseeing in Manhattan. This makes me think we need to avoid Times Square next time and just hit up SoHo and Greenwich Village.

We got to the train station just in time to catch the LIRR into Penn Station. This was kind of fun because my parents got to see a bit of Long Island. Of course, it wasn't as fun as we got closer to Jamaica and saw all of the garbage and nastiness that is also part of Long Island. The magic sort of faded for my parents at that point. When we got to Penn Station, we had to have a family meeting about not getting separated. I can just imagine my mom loose in Manhattan without the rest of us. I think her head would explode. So after telling my mom that she was not to lose us, that her handbag was safe, nobody was going to mug us, and that any public restrooms should be avoided, we set off into the urban jungle of Manhattan.

As we emerged from Penn Station out onto 7th Avenue, the first sea of humanity comment emerged from my dad's lips. He takes a look up 7th ave. at the throngs of business people and holiday shoppers and says, "Oh, the sea of humanity!" My mom and I ignored this comment- honestly, how do you respond to that?- and continued up 7th avenue towards Times Square. As we approached Times Square, there it was- comment number two. Oh, the sea of humanity! Ok, dad, we get it. Lots of people here in Manhattan. Yes, it's a sea of humanity.

I was amazed that we spent almost 8 hours walking around New York, but we didn't actually go into any of the normal sightseeing places like the Empire State Building. We saw the window displays on Fifth Avenue, I took them into Michael C. Fina so they could see this mysterious store in which we were registered, and my mom tried on an $11K necklace in a jewelery store on Fifth. We strolled around in Central Park for a while, ate a burger at an Irish pub nearby, and met up with two of my bridesmaids for drinks. We did manage to see the tree at Rockefeller Center, and of course, stopped into a Starbucks for a cup of coffee. True to form, this Starbucks was only two blocks away from another, cleaner, Starbucks. I believe the next sea of humanity comment came as we walked up 6th or 7th ave. towards Central Park. Oh, the sea of humanity!

In the middle of all of this, we did manage to catch a Broadway show. We decided on Wicked, which proved to be a great choice. It was completely different from the book, but enjoyable nonetheless. After this, exhausted by the sea of humanity that we endured throughout the day, we called it a night and headed back to the LIRR for the journey back to that waspy town known as Garden City. The next day, Friday, proved to be hell on earth for me. Really, I simply had too many spa appointments scheduled, and I had done so very inefficiently. More on that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home