Monday, October 23, 2006

This Entry is Rated 'R'...for Ridiculous

The battlecry for our wedding should be "If you're not crazy yet, then you're not busy enough!" I was just reflecting the other day on the various quirks of the moms involved in planning this wedding, and realized that weddings tend to magnify the bizarre qualities of everyone involved. Given that everyone involved in this wedding is becoming tediously obsessive compulsive, I'm at least hoping that these qualities already existed and weren't developed exclusively for the wedding. So far, these little OCD things have happened:
1) Kenny's mom requested that we mail all of the invitations that are going to their friends and family to New York so that she can send them from there. Why? Kenny and I are still trying to figure it out. It's likely that scientists will discover the edge of the universe, or perhaps explain how President Bush was re-elected before we figure out why these invitations were sent to New York.
2) My mom has requested that I reorganize our guest list so that guests from various different areas of my life are grouped together on the guest list. I asked her why, and she couldn't really tell me. She did, however, admit that it was an obsessive-compulsive request. Way to admit to the insanity, Mom! So far she's the only one willing to admit that she's acting slightly nuts, while the rest of us are still denying it.
3) Kenny and the stamps. Enough said. He refuses to admit that this was totally OCD.
4) I hunted down a post office that would hand stamp my envelopes. I was prepared to bribe a federal employee to do so. I also was overly excited when I found out that the post office in Dripping Springs, Texas still hand cancels stamps. That was before I found out that my neighborhood post office does as well, but I had no qualms about driving out to Dripping Springs. Yes, Dripping Springs is as country as it sounds. And it is far away.

Who is missing from this list? The dads. Where are the dads and why are they not crazy yet? Actually, I think their crazy will happen when they get the bill for the wedding. By then the rest of us should be feeling the effects of our Xanax, Prozac and other prescriptions and will at least be coherent enough to round up our dads for the looney bin.

Ask yourself, "Do I feel crazy?" If you don't, you're not pulling your weight. Get to it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About pulling our weight. As one of the dad's I would comment that Steve and I weight a combined 370 pounds; while the total weight of the wedding party and guests to date must be close to a trillion tons! He and I are the celebrated herculean ants (dare I say, "superDADS) able to lift and support a trillion times our own weight! We bare our horrendous burden with silent and determined TRUE GRIT, true stalwarts of the American Father/Husband. Now I must sign off as my future son in law is messing with me.

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home