Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Hey, jewelery lady! You're way out of line!

Today I finally checked something off of my wedding to-do list that has been on there for at least a month now and has recently been nagging at me. Boy, it felt good to check that item off. It felt good if you don't count the fact that in the 3 minutes that it took me to accomplish this little task, our jeweler managed to insult me twice.

The task at hand was for me to call the jeweler where we purchased our wedding bands and let them know what I wanted inscribed on the inside of Kenny's ring. I was deciding between several inscriptions, one of which was too long, so it got scrapped. The other two were "Cindy to Kenny, 12-17-06" and if that was too long "CCL to KMG 12-17-06". So I got the jeweler on the phone and laid out the first option. She says, after a few seconds of silence, "Really? That's what you want? Don't you think that sounds, I don't know...awkward?" After a couple of seconds of silence on my end, she adds, "No offense." No offense?!?!?! You tell me that the inscription that I want to put inside the wedding band of my husband-to-be sounds "awkward" and you don't expect me to be offended? Wow. My blood pressure instantly rose, and I took a couple of deep breaths. I'm calm now, thinking calm thoughts, trying not to be angry at this chick and the insult she just lobbed my way. She says, "Why don't you just put "Love, Cindy." My blood pressure spikes again. Why not? Maybe because I'd like the inscription to be from me, the bride, and not from you, the jeweler. That's why. Some people just don't have that little mechanism that the rest of us have that lets us know when we've gone too far, said too much. I tell her, again, that this inscription sounds fine to me. Thinking that maybe I was crazy, I ran it by a few other people, including co-workers, my maid of honor, and even Kenny. Everyone else thought it sounded fine. Either that, or they just fear my wrath.

After I recovered from that little insult, she sent another one my way. She is mailing the ring to me so that I won't have to pay NY state sales tax, so we were discussing this. She asks me if I'm coming back to NY before the wedding, and I told her I would be up for Thanksgiving. She pauses, and then suggests that I bring the ring back at Thanksgiving for her to keep until the wedding. I told her that wouldn't be necessary, and that I'd keep the ring and bring it up when I come up for the wedding. Then she says she's worried that I'll forget the ring. Who does this lady think she is? And why does she think I'll forget the ring? I kind of wanted to say something about the fact that I've already got two moms on my case about everything under the sun related to the wedding, and I don't need it coming from other sources as well. I told her that if there was anything I remembered to bring to the wedding, it would be the ring. She kept pushing it, and I finally had to get tough with her, let her know who's boss. I don't think I was rude, but I think I got the message across to her that I wasn't going to listen to her lack of confidence in me. It's none of her business anyway. She's just wrong on so many levels.

I've only met this woman three or four times. She doesn't know me well enough to nag me or to know whether or not I'm a dingbat and would do something like forget a wedding ring at my own wedding. I'm not sure whether I can chalk this up to her being a New Yorker, or just rude. In her defense, it's likely that most brides she deals with are younger than me by about 6 or 8 years, are totally sheltered by their parents, and have never had to do anything for themselves for most of their lives. I'd like to think that fact that I'm older, have been out on my own for some time now, and am a working professional would lend me some credibility in terms of my ability to remember to bring a wedding ring to my wedding. Whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home